Tuesday, November 8, 2016

linear algebra - Difference between left and right inverse of NON-SQUARE Matrix.



Hello guys i want to know exactly what is the difference between the right and left inverse. I Know that:




If B is the right inverse of A then there is at least one solution for Ax=b



If B is the left inverse of A then there is at most one solution for Ax=b.



I want to know if B is the left inverse does it still imply that A can have infinitely many left inverses.



if it does how come there can only be at most one solution.



one more thing is it the right way if I want to find the left inverse of a matrix A to transpose it,say B.A turn it into, (A^T).(B^T) and then solve.


Answer




If $A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}$, then any matrix $B$ of the form $\begin{bmatrix} 1 & c \end{bmatrix}$ is a left inverse, so indeed $A$ can have infinitely many left inverses. However, for a given $b$ there can only be $0$ or $1$ solution to $Ax=b$. ("Infinitely many left inverses" does not conflict with "at most one solution to $Ax=b$".)


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...