Tuesday, November 8, 2016

calculus - The Squeeze Theorem


Find $$\lim_{x\to0}\left(x^2\sin\frac1x\right)$$


Solution:


We have:


$$\color{red}{-1\le\sin\frac1x\le1}\;;\;x\in(-5,5)-\{0\}\quad\text{Why?}$$


(Multiplying by $x^2$ …Note that $x^2$ is non-negative)


$$\implies-x^2\le x^2\sin\frac1x\le x^2\;;\;x\in(-5,5)-\{0\}$$


We have


$$\lim_{x\to0}\left(-x^2\right)=0=\lim_{x\to0}\left(x^2\right)$$


$\implies$ By the squeeze theorem,



$$\lim_{x\to0}\left(x^2\sin\frac1x\right)=0$$



Can someone please explain this problem? I could solve the ones without $\sin$/$\cos$.


Why do we assume that $\sin\dfrac1x$ is between $-1$ and $1$?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...