Thursday, November 17, 2016

summation - Summing $sum_{n=0}^{infty} n x^n$




I am trying to figure out how to do the infinite summation:



$$ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n x^n \qquad 0 \leq x < 1$$



The series converges so it seems to me that the limit must exist, but I'm having difficulties trying to find an exact answer for it. It is very much like an infinite geometric series, but the multiplication factor $n$ makes that you can't use the usual trick. The furthest I came was writing it out as:



$$ x + 2 x^2 + 3 x^3 + 4 x^4 + \dots$$



but that doesn't get me anywhere. Can someone give me a hint?



Answer



This can be written as
$$
x\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^{n-1}
$$
and the series is the derivative of
$$
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...