Friday, November 25, 2016

calculus - Is the sum of positive divergent series always divergent?


If two positive terms series $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n$ are divergent, $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (a_n+b_n)$ is also divergent.



I thought is was obvious, but I saw a counterexample of this problem, that is, $a_n = n, b_n = -n.$ However, this is a little bit strange, because $b_n$ is NOT positive terms series.


What's wrong with my thoughts?


Answer



If both are positive then yes, your thoughts are correct, for example by direct comparison. That example isn't relevant because, as you said, $b_n$ is not a positive sequence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...