Friday, November 25, 2016

elementary set theory - Proving intervals are equinumerous to $mathbb R$


Let $a$, $b$ elements of $\mathbb R$ with $a < b$. By combining the results of the past exercises and examples, show that each of the following intervals are equinumerous to the set $\mathbb R$ of all real numbers:




  1. $(a,b)$


  2. $(a,b]$


  3. $[a, b)$


  4. $[a, b]$


  5. $(a, \infty)$


  6. $[a, \infty)$



  7. $(-\infty, b)$


  8. $(-\infty, b]$





Do I need to find a bijection or what, from each interval to $(-\infty, \infty)$? We've shown in class that $(a,b)$ is equinumerous to $(0,1)$, and that $(0,1)$ is equinumerous to $\mathbb R$. We have gone over a proof that $[a, b]$ is equinumerous to $[0,1]$. We've also covered that $[a, b]$ and $(a,b)$ have the same cardinality.



Doing 8 proofs of intervals with a function $f$ being a bijection to $\mathbb R$ seems really tedious, so I'm asking if there's another way around that?



And if there isn't, I'd like some help on the proofs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...