Thursday, June 30, 2016

sequences and series - How to compute this infinite sum?





I'm trying to compute the infinite sum



$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n(\frac{1}{2})^n$



which I believe should represent the expected amount of coin flips needed to get a head. Can someone remind me how to do this?


Answer




The key is that the infinite sum $\sum x^n $ converges to $\frac 1{1 - x}$ under certain conditions on $x$, and differentiating the resulting inequality gives that $\sum nx^{n-1}$ is convergent to the derivative of $\frac 1{1 - x}$, under the same conditions. Multiplying this by $x$ gives the sum $\sum nx^{n}$, which is the result you are looking for with $x = \frac 12$, which does fall under the set for which the first equality holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...