Monday, June 13, 2016

calculus - Theorem on the continuity of a power series

Let $\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k(x-a)^k$ be a power series with real coefficients $a_k$, the constant $a \in \mathbb{R}$ and the positive radius of convergence $R>0$. Let
\begin{equation}
D =
\begin{cases}
]a-R, \ a+R[ & \text{if } R < \infty \\

\mathbb{R} & \text{if } R = \infty \
\end{cases}
\end{equation}
and $ \ f: D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, $ \ f(x) := \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k(x-a)^k$. $ \ f$ is then continuous on $D$.



This is from my lecture notes. I am not really sure, what is happening here. Do I understand this correctly? A power series has a certain radius of convergence $R$. Depending on $R$ the set $D$ is defined. $D$ is the set where the power series converges (?). $D$ is then taken as the domain for a function which is defined as the power series. $f$ is then continuous on $D$.



Maybe somebody can explain it more clearly or add a helpful image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...