Sunday, June 12, 2016

probability - If I reroll any 6s what are my chances of an EVEN result on a fair d6?



I have a normal, fair six sided die. I roll the die, but if I roll a 6 I keep rerolling the die until I get a result that is not a 6.




What are my chances of getting an even final result? Is it 2/5th? Or does it approach 2/5th?



I'm fairly certain that (ignoring the time it takes to roll the die) this scenario is the same as if I had a fair five sided die, but I don't know how to prove it.


Answer



It is indeed $\dfrac25$.



Suppose it is $p$. Then you can roll:




  • two or four, with probability $\dfrac26$, and finally even


  • one, three or five, with probability $\dfrac36$, and finally odd

  • six, with probability $\dfrac16$, and then a further probability $p$ of being finally even



So the probability of being finally even is $$p=\dfrac26+ \dfrac16p$$ which solves to $$p=\dfrac25$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...