Tuesday, June 7, 2016

calculus - How can I prove $log_2{(1+x)} geq {x}$ for $0




How can I prove the following inequality for $0 $$\log_2{(1+x)} \geq {x}$$





I tried to use $\ln(1+x) \geq x-\frac{x^2}{2}$ for $x\geq 0$ and convert the $\ln$ to $\log_2$ to prove that, but it does not work. Any idea?
Is there a generalized form?



I need an analytical proof, not sketch , or looking at graph. Thanks.


Answer



The logarithm function is concave.



Thus, it lies above any secant line.



In particular, on $[0,1]$, the function $x$ is a secant line for $\log_2(1+x)$.




Hence, $\log_2(1+x)\ge x$ on $[0,1]$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...