Wednesday, September 4, 2019

calculus - To evaluate the limit as h approaches 0, how do I rewrite the limit in terms of theta?



I found a Question from the textbook which is not well explained...or not at all explained. And it would be interesting to know how to solve it. Or perhaps I am simply that bad at understanding squeeze theorem.





  1. If you want to evaluate $\lim _ { h \rightarrow 0 } \frac { \sin 5 h } { 3 h } ,$ it is a good idea to rewrite the
    limit in terms of the variable (choose one):



$\begin{array} { l l l } { \text { (a) } \theta = 5 h } & { \text { (b) } \theta = 3 h } & { \text { (c) } \theta = \frac { 5 h } { 3 } } \end{array}$



Basically: for the limit as h approaches $0$, in the equation: $\sin(5h/3h)$, how should you rewrite the limit in terms of the variable theta?




For clarity's sake, I don't care much for the answer itself. It's a "completion" grade anyway. I am, however, interested in what logic goes into determining how you rewrite the limit.


Answer



The logic behind is that $\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}= 1$ is known.



So, one would like to transform the expression to contain this limit which excludes the "problem with the sine".



Hence, $\theta = 5h$ would be a good choice.



Now, you will see how this transforms the limit in a nice way:




$$\frac{\sin 5h}{3h} = \frac{\sin \theta}{3\frac{\theta}{5}}= \frac{5}{3}\frac{\sin \theta}{\theta}\stackrel{\theta to 0}{\longrightarrow}\frac{5}{3}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...