Thursday, September 5, 2019

algebra precalculus - Writing square root of square-free numbers as sum of square roots.

Some days ago i came across a question about writing $\sqrt {2001}$ as sum of two other square roots. I managed to prove that this is not possible unless one of them is zero and the other one is $2001$.

The proof was as following: $\sqrt{2001}=\sqrt a+\sqrt b$, $\sqrt{2001}-\sqrt a=\sqrt b$ so $2001+a-2\sqrt{2001a}=b$. This shows that $2\sqrt{2001a}$ is an integer so $2001*a$ is a perfect square.
We also know that $2001=3*23*29$ which is a square-free number. so $a$ must divide all of $3,23,29$ which means $a\geq2001$ so$\sqrt a\geq\sqrt{2001}$ and $\sqrt{b}\leq 0$ which means $b=0$.

With exact method we can prove that $\sqrt{s}=\sqrt a+\sqrt b$ does not have any natural solutions with $s$ being a square-free number. Then I tried to generalize the proof for $3$ or more square roots but i failed. The only thing I always get is $\sqrt {ab}+\sqrt {bc}+\sqrt {ac}$ is an integer which does not help at all.
For what numbers can we write the square root of a square-free number as sum of three or more non-zero square roots? I would appreciate any help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...