Thursday, September 12, 2019

calculus - Show that $int_{0}^{infty}|frac{sin x}{x}|,dx=infty $



Problem: Show that $\int_{0}^{\infty}|\frac{ \sin x}{x}|=\infty $ .




Here is what i have tried :



I found out that for all $x>0$ , $x-\frac{x^3}{6} < \sin x Now we send $M \rightarrow \infty$ and observe that left-hand side goes to infinity . Hence proved .
Please point out if there is anything wrong with my approach . I will also be delighted if could provide alternative solutions . Thank you .


Answer



Your solution is not good, because the left side, $M-\frac{M^3}{18}$, does not go to $\infty$, but rather to $-\infty$.







An alternative solution would include




  • the fact that on any interval $[(k-1)\pi, k\pi]$, you have $$\frac{|\sin x|}{x} \geq \frac{|\sin x|}{k \pi}$$

  • The knowledge that $$\int_{(k-1)\pi}^{k\pi} |\sin x| dx$$ is independent of $k$, i.e. that it is always equal to the same nonzero constant $C$

  • The knowledge that the series $$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac1k$$ diverges (even if multiplied by a nonzero constant).


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...