Wednesday, September 11, 2019

calculus - Find an explicit formula $1+(1+x)+(1+x+x^2)+cdots$




Find the sum of $n$ terms of the following series:
$$1+(1+x)+(1+x+x^2)+\cdots$$



The $n^{th}$ term $(t_n)$ is $\displaystyle\frac{x^n-1}{x-1}$, since each term is a Geometric Progression with common ratio $x$.



Now, I want to find $\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^nt_n$. Is it possible to get a telescoping series here?


Answer



HINT:



if $x\ne1,$

$$\sum_{1\le r\le n }\frac{x^r-1}{x-1}=\frac{\left(\sum_{1\le r\le n }x^r\right)-n}{x-1}$$



Observe the Geometric Progression in the numerator


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...