Wednesday, July 31, 2019

trigonometry - Is Euler's formula valid for complex arguments



I found this question here :



Evaluate $\cos(z)$, given that $z = i \log(2+\sqrt{3})$



It says that -
$$e^{-iz} = \cos(z) - i \sin(z)$$
isn't necessarily true because $$\sin z$$ is imaginary (for the particular value of z in the link). But, the proof of Euler's formula using Maclaurin series suggests that it should be valid for complex arguments too. What am I missing?



Answer



No, it doesn't say that $$e^{iz}=\cos(iz)-i\sin(iz)$$is not necessarily true! It is true. What it says in that other answer is that $\cos(iz)$ is not necessarily the real part of $e^{iz}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...