Saturday, July 13, 2019

algebra precalculus - Upper and lower bounds in regards to 0.(9)








I'm only doing this at GSCE and I'm really only asking here because of an interesting email conversation between my Grandfather and I regarding the fact that 0.(9) equals 1, so I'd appreciate it if you could make any explanation as simple as possible.



Basically, I have proven to my Grandfather that 0.(9) must equal 1, using the following method:



Let x = 0.(9)



So, 10x will equal 9.(9); 10x - x is 9x which is the same as 9.(9) - 0.(9) = 9, and therefore 9 / 9 is 1!



However, he has questioned the fact that 0.(9) * 9 equals 9, as he rightly stated that it equals 8.(9). I do remember learning in my maths lesson a rule regards to upper and lower bounds that meant that 8.(9) was actually the same as 9, or something along those lines, but I can not remember the correct statement to inform my Grandfather - so any suggestions would be appreciated.




Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...