Friday, July 5, 2019

calculus - How to find this limit and prove it rigorously: $sqrt{2 + sqrt{2+sqrt{2+sqrt2...)}}}$?

$\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt2...)}}}$.



Pretty classic question, I think - and the limit is equal to 2.



But how do I prove this rigorously? An epsilon-delta proof wouldn't work, since I wouldn't know the limit is equal to 2 - the question asks, if the limit exists, compute it. This was for an old analysis exam, not a calculus class, so I feel that I can't just set the above = some number L, and then make algebraic manipulations on both sides of the equation, until I get what I want. We can't assume the limit exists, I think.




Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...