Wednesday, July 31, 2019

real analysis - proof: convergence of recursive sequence (Assignment)



Question: Recursively define a sequence by $x_1=1$ and $x_{n+1}=(\sqrt2)^{x_n}$.

Prove that the sequence $\{x_n\}_{n=1}^{\infty}$ converges.



Attempt: To prove its convergence, I have to show the sequence is bounded and monotone.



I can prove the sequence $x_n\ge 1$ by induction.



I can prove the sequence is monotone increasing $x_n\le x_{n+1}$ by induction.



Since it is monotone increasing, I need to show the sequence is bounded above, but I don't know how to find this.




Could you give some idea? By the way, it is an assignment question.


Answer



Note that $a^b \le a^c$ for $1\le b \le c$ and $a\ge 1$.



$|x_{2}|=(\sqrt{2})^1 \le (\sqrt{2})^2=2$.



$|x_{3}|=(\sqrt{2})^{x_2} \le (\sqrt{2})^{|x_2|} \le (\sqrt{2})^2=2$.



.
.

.



$|x_{n}| \le 2$.



I'm only just restating what User L KM wrote in their answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...