Friday, November 23, 2018

trigonometry - Proving identity $cos^2 a= sinh^2 b$ if $sin(a+ib)=cos b + isin b$




This is my first question on StackExchange. I have some trouble with proving this identity with the following condition:




If: $\sin(a+ib)= \cos b + i \sin b$



Prove: $\cos^2 (a) = \sinh^2 (b)$




I tried using different methods, but the furthest I've come to is this:




$\sinh^2 (b) = \sin^2 (b)/\cos^2 (a)$



I expanded $\sin(a+ib)$ and rearranged the equation to isolate $\sinh(b)$. I then squared it (to get $\sinh^2 (b)$) and got the above statement.



I would like to know whether I'm on the right track, or if there are any mistakes. Thanks a lot.


Answer



\begin{align}
\sin(a+ib)
&=\sin a\cos ib+\cos a\sin ib\\
&=\sin a\cosh b+i\cos a\sinh b\\

&= \cos b + i \sin b
\end{align}
so take real part and imaginary of sides give us
$$\sin a\cosh b= \cos b$$
$$\cos a\sinh b= \sin b$$
then squaring two equations and adding concludes
$$\sin^2 a\cosh^2 b+\cos^2 a\sinh^2 b=1$$
$$(1-\cos^2 a)(1+\sinh^2 b)+\cos^2 a\sinh^2 b=1$$
which gives $\color{blue}{\cos^2 a = \sinh^2 b}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...