Monday, November 12, 2018

combinatorics - Coupon Collector Problem with packs

Given the coupon collector's problem, the expected number of coupons is calculated as follows:


$E[X] = N \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{1}{i}$


This assumes we can draw one coupon at a time.


Let's assume one can draw a pack of size $m$. All coupons in a pack are independent, which means there may be duplicates in one pack. In each draw we are only interested in one coupon which we do not have yet. All other coupons are discarded for that draw. Drawing packs is repeated until we have all $N$ coupons.


How do I calculate the expected number of draws for that case?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...