Wednesday, November 28, 2018

algebra precalculus - Given that (a-1/a)=3 determine the value of (a+1/a)^2 without solving for x



Please excuse my noobery but I'm very new to high school maths for reasons unimportant.



I'm using this site as my study guide to get through high school math and the questions (close to the bottom of the page) that I'm having trouble with go like this:





  1. Answer the following:




(a) Expand: $(a+\frac{1}{a})^2$.



(b) Given that $(a+\frac{1}{a})=3$, determine the value of $(a+\frac{1}{a})^2$ without solving for $x$.



(c) Given that $(a-\frac{1}{a})=3$, determine the value of $(a+\frac{1}{a})^2$ without solving for $x$.




I can do (a) and (b) but I get stuck at (c) even though the website gives the answers but their explanation doesn't make any sense and I think the problem is that the site doesn't explain how to do these sorts of problems, what these problems are about, where to go find out what all this is, etc. so I'm hoping someone can please explain to me how to do this step for step so that my puny mind can understand it too.




Edit: If you'd like me to post the answers according to the website, please let me know, I only exclude them because of how much space that would take.


Answer



hint
just observe that



$$(a+1/a)^2=(a-1/a)^2+4$$
because



$$(a+1/a)^2=$$
$$a^2+1/a^2+2.a.(1/a)=$$

$$a^2+1/a^2+2$$
and
$$(a-1/a)^2=$$
$$a^2+1/a^2-2.a. (1/a) =$$
$$a^2+1/a^2-2=$$
$$a^2+1/a^2+2 -4$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...