Wednesday, August 22, 2018

calculus - $lim_{xtoinfty} frac{sin x+sin^2x+sin^3x+dotsb}{xsin x}$, infinite series limit



I saw this question yesterday.




$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{\sin x+\sin^2x+\sin^3x+\dotsb}{x\sin x}$$





I claim that the limit is $0$ because it can be written like the following.



$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{\sin x}{x}+\frac{\sin^2x}{x}+\dotsb\right)$$



Then I say in this expression the numerator is limited between $[-1,1]$, and the denominator for each term goes as much as to infinity. Hence term by term we have 0, and adding these up we have 0 as the answer.



But then some guy says its indeterminate, because



$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1+\sin x+\sin^2x+\dotsb}{x} = \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1-\sin^nx}{(1-\sin x)x}$$




He claims what we have in the denominator is oscillating and we cannot have a limit. Also, he says I'm wrong because an infinite amount of zero does not equal to zero.



I'd like to hear your ideas about the answer.


Answer



Let



$$f(x)=\frac{1+\sin x+\sin^2x+\ldots}x$$



for all $x\in\Bbb R$ for which this is defined. If $x>0$ and $\sin x\ne\pm 1$, then




$$f(x)=\frac{1}{x(1-\sin x)}\;.$$



Let $n$ be any odd positive integer. By taking $x$ sufficiently close to $\frac{n\pi}2$, we can make$f(x)$ arbitrarily large. Thus, there is a strictly increasing sequence $\langle x_n:n\in\Bbb N\rangle$ of positive real numbers such that $\lim\limits_{n\to\infty}f(x_n)=\infty$.



Since there is also such a sequence for which $f(x_n)=0$ for each $n\in\Bbb N$, the limit does not exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...