Saturday, August 25, 2018

calculus - Differentiate $tan^3(x^2)$




Differentiate $\tan^3(x^2)$




I first applied the chain rule and made $u=x^2$ and $g=\tan^3u$. I then calculated the derivative of $u$, which is $$u'=2x$$ and the derivative of $g$, which is

$$g'=3\tan^2u$$



I then applied the chain rule and multiplied them together, which gave me



$$f'(x)=2x3\tan^2(x^2)$$



Is this correct? If not, any hints as to how to get the correct answer?


Answer



You are almost there! In this case you need to apply the Chain Rule three times.




We have that $$(\tan^3(x^2))'=3\tan^2(x^2)\cdot(\tan(x^2))'=3\tan^2(x^2)\cdot\sec^2(x^2)\cdot(x^2)'=6x\tan^2(x^2)\sec^2(x^2)$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...