Thursday, August 17, 2017

real analysis - Homeomorphisms between circles and rectangles



In our topology class we learn that in $\mathbb{R}^2,$ circles and rectangles are homeomorphic to each others.
I can understand the underline idea intuitively.
But can we find an explicit homeomorphic between them?
If so how?



Also our professor said that, "we can describe any point in the rectangle $[0,1]\times[0,1]$ using a single coordinate."
I wonder how such thing is possible.
As I think, for this we need a bijection between $[0,1]\times[0,1]$ and some (closed?) interval in $\mathbb{R}.$
Can some one explain this phenomena?


Answer



One very visual way of seeing such a homeomorphism is to place one inside the other, choose a point that's inside both (say point $P$), and let the image of a point $Q$ in the circle be where the line emanating from $P$ and through $Q$ intersects the rectangle.



EDIT: Added an example image:




enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...