Sunday, August 13, 2017

real analysis - Continuous bounded function $f:mathbb{R}rightarrow mathbb{R}$



Question is to check which of the following holds (only one option is correct) for a continuous bounded function $f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$.





  • $f$ has to be uniformly continuous.

  • there exists a $x\in \mathbb{R}$ such that $f(x)=x$.

  • $f$ can not be increasing.

  • $\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f(x)$ exists.



What all i have done is :




  • $f(x)=\sin(x^3)$ is a continuous function which is bounded by $1$ which is not uniformly continuous.


  • suppose $f$ is bounded by $M>0$ then restrict $f: [-M,M]\rightarrow [-M,M]$ this function is bounded ad continuous so has fixed point.

  • I could not say much about the third option "$f$ can not be increasing". I think this is also true as for an increasing function $f$ can not be bounded but i am not sure.

  • I also believe that $\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f(x)$ exists as $f$ is bounded it should have limit at infinity.But then I feel the function can be so fluctuating so limit need not exists. I am not so sure.



So, I am sure second option is correct and fourth option may probably wrong but i am not so sure about third option.



Please help me to clear this.



Thank You. :)



Answer



For the third point, consider $f(x) = \arctan(x)$. For the fourth point, you've already found a counterexample in one of your other points!


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...