Thursday, August 24, 2017

Arithmetic Progression first term from Sum and Common Difference



The sum of the first 50 elements of a set is 6925 with a common difference of 5. What is the first element of the set


I know how I would usually find the first term of an AP, but I cannot work out how to work out what the 50th term is from the sum of the first 50 terms and then use that information to find the first term.




Through brute force problem solving I have established that 16 is the first term, but there must be an easier way. Any pointers would be grand.


Answer



Say $a$ is first term,
$d=5$ is the common difference and
$S_n$ is the sum to $n$ terms = $\frac{n}{2}[2a + (n-1)d]$



We know, $n$th term of series = $a + (n-1)d$
Now, it is given that $S_{50} = 6925$



Therefore, $$\frac{50}{2}[2a + (50-1)\cdot 5] = 6925$$
or $$2a + 245 = 277$$
or $$a = 16$$




Hence first term is 16.



Hope this is what you wanted to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...