Saturday, October 1, 2016

notation - Is there a way to denote the calculation $1+2+3+dots+n$?




Since $n!$ represents $$1\cdot2\cdot3\cdots n,$$ I am wondering if there is a way to represent $$1+2+3+\dots+n?$$
What are some usual notations for the computation of some common sequences? Any other examples?


Answer



One way to write it would be simply by using the sumation notation, meaning
$$1+2+3+\dots+n=\sum_{k=1}^n k.$$
Of course, that is equivalent to writing the factorials with the product notation, meaning
$$n!=\prod_{k=1}^n k,$$

so I don't think that is what you were asking.



If you already know that $1+2+\dots+n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$, then you can just write $\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$ instead of the sum. The fact that the sum can be expressed as this rather short fraction is in my oppinion the real reason why a shortened notation does not exist. Unlike in the case of $n!$, which cannot be expressed by a polynomial in $n$, this one can be, thus shortening the notation is not needed.



EDIT: I was of course proven wrong by Chris Culter in his answer. However, I would like to add that the notation $T_n$, where $T$ stands for triangular, is not as common as $n!$. Any mathematitian in the world will know that if you write $5!$, you really mean $5\cdot 4\cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1$, however, if you say $T_n$, that notation can be used for other things, such as Chebyshev polynomials.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...