Friday, October 21, 2016

elementary number theory - What is the correct way of expressiong remainder in Mathematics



$45/7 \quad$ remainder $=3$


What is the correct way of representing this mathematically? I am asking this question because in this site, many times, experts use different ways to denote remainders. I am giving it below


(a) $45$ mod $7$ $=3$


(b) $45$ mod $7$ $\equiv3$


(c) $45\%7$ $=3$ (I believe this is mostly for programming and cannot generally use for mathematics. there is a thread for it)


(d) $45\equiv 3\pmod 7$


It is true that we can easily understand from the last expression that $45$ divided by $7$ gives $3$ as remainder. But, this relation is actually used to tell $45$ and $3$ gives same remainder when divided with $7$.


So, my understanding is that we can only (a). Please tell if I am right or wrong.


Answer



To capture the nature of division of a number $a$ by another number $b$ (which seems to be what you're trying to convey in $a$, we can write $$a = qb + r$$ where q represents the unique quotient, and $r$ ($0\leq r\lt b$) represents the unique remainder.



We can also write $$a \equiv r \pmod b$$


The notation of the second form does not necessarily require that the '$r$' be such that $0\leq r \leq b$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...