Monday, April 11, 2016

summation - Finding the formula for the sum of a the sequence $1 + 4 + 7 + ... + (3n + 1)$

In the problem below, It is asked to find the formula for the sum of the sequence and then to prove whether it is true or false for all n values using induction.



$$ 1 + 4 + 7 + ... + (3n + 1), \ n\in \Bbb N_0$$



In order to do that I tried to convert it into Sigma notation



$$\sum_{n=0}^k 3n + 1 $$



and then using the rules of sigma notation I came up with




$$\sum_{n=0}^k 3n + 1 = 3\cdot \sum_{n=0}^k n + \sum_{n=0}^k 1$$



and then I replaced it with the following to come to the formula for the sum of the sequence



$$3\cdot\frac{n(n+1)}{2} + (n + 1) = \frac{(n+1)(3n+2)}{2}$$



But it seems to be totally incorrect!



What am I doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...