Tuesday, April 26, 2016

elementary number theory - Prove that $9mid (4^n+15n-1)$ for all $ninmathbb N$



First of all I would like to thank you for all the help you've given me so far.



Once again, I'm having some issues with a typical exam problem about divisibility. The problem says that:





Prove that $\forall n \in \mathbb{N}, \ 9\mid4^n + 15n -1$




I've tried using induction, but that didn’t work. I've tried saying that:




$4^n + 15n-1 \equiv 0 \pmod{9}$. Therefore, I want to prove that $4^{n+1} + 15(n+1) -1 \equiv 0 \pmod{9}$.



I've prooved for $n=1$, it's $18\equiv 0 \pmod{9}$, which is OK.





But for the inductive step, I get:




$4\cdot4^n + 15n+15-1 \equiv 0 \pmod{9}$




And from there, I don't know where to replace my inductive hypothesis, and therefore, that's why I think induction is not the correct tool to use here. I guess I might use some tools of congruence or divisibility, but I'm not sure which ones.




I do realize that all $n\in \mathbb{N}/ \ 3 \ |\ n \Rightarrow 4^n \equiv 1 \pmod{9} \text{ and } 15n \equiv 0 \pmod{9}$. In that case, where 3 divides n, then I have prove that $4^n + 15n-1 \equiv 0 \pmod{9}$. But I don't know what to do with other natural numbers that are not divisible by 4, that is, all $n \in \mathbb{N} / n \equiv 1 \pmod{3} \text{ or } n \equiv 2 \pmod{3}$.



Any ideas? Thanks in advance!


Answer



By the Inductive Hypothesis, $4^n + 15n -1 \equiv 0$ so $4^n \equiv 1-15n$ and thus
$$
4^{n+1}+15(n+1)-1 = 4 \cdot 4^n + 15n + 14 \equiv 4 \cdot (1-15n) + 15n + 14 = 18 -45n \equiv 0
$$
since both $18$ and $45$ are divisible by 9.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...