Saturday, April 9, 2016

Let $z = x+iy$ be a complex number and denote $z^2 = A + Bi$. Solve for $x,y$ in terms of $A,B$.

Here, $x, y, A, B$ are all real numbers.



I am just having some problems with the algebra of putting it all together to get a solution.


What I have currently is: $z^2 = (x+iy)^2 = x^2 + 2xyi - y^2$


This gives $A = x^2 - y^2$ and $B = 2xy$.


I also know that $|z|^2 = |z^2|$, which gives:


$|x+iy|^2 = |A+Bi|$ => $x^2+y^2 = \sqrt{(A^2+B^2)}$.


I know that I must be making some silly error (either in the above calculations or when I try substituting things in) but I keep going in circles with my algebra and not able to get a final answer. How should I proceed from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...