Thursday, April 28, 2016

linear algebra - How can we prove that if we can change a matrix into an identity matrix by doing some elementary row operations, then the matrix is invertible?



I started linear algebra, and I encountered the part that using Gauss-Jordan method to compute invertible matrix. Then, how can we prove that a matrix is invertible if we can change that matrix into an identity matrix by doing some elementary row operations?


Answer



Every row operation corresponds to left-multiplication by a matrix. A sequence of row operations therefore corresponds to a single multiplication by the product of those matrices (taken right-to-left). If a square matrix $A$ can be multiplied by any other square matrix to produce an identity matrix, then $A$ is invertible (and the other matrix is its inverse).


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...