Friday, April 8, 2016

How to evaluate a partially alternating series.


$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos{(n\pi/3)}}{n!}$ = $\sqrt{e} \cos(\sqrt{3}/2)$


Wolfram alpha gave me this answer for the sum. First I'd like to know if I can use the alternating series test to prove that this sum is convergent (absolutely or conditionally). Then I'd like to know how wolfram came up with this answer for the sum.


Answer



The easiest way to get the sum is using Euler's formula $e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta+i\sin\theta$. What you have is the real part of $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} \bigl( e^{i \pi / 3} \bigr)^n$, which is $\exp(e^{i\pi/3})$. Then, $e^{i\pi/3}=\frac{1+i\sqrt{3}}{2}$, so $\exp(e^{i\pi/3})=e^{1/2}\, e^{i \sqrt{3}/2}$, and taking the real part gives the cosine.



What you need to prove, though, doesn't require any of that. Remember that the cosine is bounded between $-1$ and $+1$, and that $n!$ grows very fast. In fact, $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} = e$ is certainly convergent, without any need for alternating properties. The alternating series test is not the best way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...