Sunday, March 3, 2019

sequences and series - Prove that the $sum_{x=1}^{n} cos^2(x)$ is bounded





I need to show that $$\sum_{x=1}^{n} \cos^2(x)$$ is bounded above. I know that there's a similar formula for $$\sum_{x=1}^{n} \sin(2x)$$ but I can't seem to find it anywhere.


Answer



$$\begin{align}\sum_{k=1}^{n} \cos^2(k) &= \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{\cos(2k)+1}{2}=\frac 12(n+\sum_{k=1}^n\cos(2k))\\
&=\frac 12(n+Re(\sum_{k=1}^ne^{2ik})) = \frac 12(n+Re(e^{2i}\frac{e^{2in}-1}{e^{2i}-1}))\end{align}$$



Note that $\left|Re(e^{2i}\frac{e^{2in}-1}{e^{2i}-1})\right|\leq \frac{2}{|e^{2i}-1|}$, hence $$\sum_{k=1}^{n} \cos^2(k) = \frac n2 + O(1)$$



This implies the sum is not bounded.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...