Tuesday, March 5, 2019

calculus - Example of a continuous function which is not smooth



I need a function which is continuous but not smooth ( not a $C^{\infty})$.



Smooth functions are those whose derivatives of all order exists. For example $f(x)= e^{x}$ is a smooth function while $f(x)=|x|$ is not smooth as derivative at $0$ does not exist.


But what I require is functions in from $\mathbb{R}^{n} $ to $\mathbb{R}^{m}$.


For simplicity it is enough to give functions from $\mathbb{R}^{2} $ to $\mathbb{R}^{2}$. I have examples of discontinuous functions from $\mathbb{R}^{2} $ to $\mathbb{R}^{2}$ , like $\frac{xy}{x^{2}+y^{2}}$ which is not continuous at $(0,0)$.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...