Friday, March 22, 2019

calculus - Prove inequality using the Mean Value Theorem



I'm trying to hone my problem-solving skills using the Mean Value Theorem and in one exercise, where $x \in (0, +\infty)$, I have to prove that:





  • $(1+x)^a>ax+1$,   if $a > 1$.

  • $(1+x)^a



What I've tried:



I've tried to solve this problem using the function $f(t)=(1+t)^a$ in the closed set $[0,x]$ as follows:





  • First, I calculated the derivative of $f$, which is $f'(t)=a(1+t)^{a-1}$.

  • Then, I used the Mean Value Theorem:
    $$
    f'(k)={{f(x)-f(0)}\over{x-0}}={{(1+x)^a-1}\over{x}}
    \Leftrightarrow
    a(1+k)^{a-1}={{(1+x)^a-1}\over{x}}\\\Leftrightarrow
    (1+x)^a=ax(1+k)^{a-1}+1
    $$




The equation I found seems to be on the right track, so I decided based on instinct to examine the following cases:




  • $a=1 \Rightarrow (1+x)^a=ax+1$

  • $a>1 \Rightarrow (1+x)^a>ax+1$

  • $a \in (0, 1) \Rightarrow (1+x)^a



Question:



My solution, and more specifically the part where my instinct kicks in, feels rather incomplete and rushed. Is there a better way to solve this problem using the Mean Value Theorem?


Answer



Your “instinct” is correct, and it requires only small additions to
make it a full proof.



The mean value theorem implies that for $x > 0$
$$
(1+x)^\alpha = 1 + \alpha x (1+k)^{\alpha-1}

$$
for some $k \in (0, x)$. It is relevant that $k$ is strictly positive,
so that one can continue to argue
$$
\alpha > 1 \Longrightarrow (1+k)^{\alpha-1} > 1
\Longrightarrow (1+x)^\alpha > 1 + \alpha x \, , \\
0 < \alpha < 1 \Longrightarrow (1+k)^{\alpha-1} < 1
\Longrightarrow (1+x)^\alpha < 1 + \alpha x \, .
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...