Monday, March 18, 2019

linear algebra - Proof clarification for inverse of matrix



This is from Artin Algebra, proposition 1.2.20:





Proposition: Let $A$ be a square matrix that has either a left inverse or a right inverse, a matrix $B$ such that either $BA=I$ or $AB=I$. Then $A$ is invertible and $B$ is its inverse.



Proof: Suppose $AB=I$. We perform row reduction on $A$. Say $A'=PA$, where $P=E_k\cdots E_1$ is the product of corresponding elementary matrices, and $A'$ is a row echelon matrix. Then $A'B=PAB=P$. Because $P$ is invertible, its bottom row is not zero. Then bottom row of $A'$ can't be zero either. $\dots$




I can't understand how bottom row of $A'$ can't be zero.


Answer



Suppose the bottom row of $A'$ is zero. Then, carrying out the matrix multiplication, you will see that the bottom row of $A'B$ is zero too.




If you're comfortable with block matrix partitioning, suppose



$$
A' = \begin{bmatrix} A'_1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}, B = \begin{bmatrix} B_1 & B_2 \end{bmatrix}
$$



Then



$$

A'B = \begin{bmatrix} A'_1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} B_1 & B_2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} A_1' B_1 & A_1' B_2 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}
$$



Which has a row of zeros.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...