Monday, March 25, 2019

Limit of a sequence defined by recursive relation : $ a_n = sqrt{a_{n-1}a_{n-2}}$



We're given a sequence defined by the recursive relation: $$a_n = \sqrt{a_{n-1}a_{n-2}}$$




$a_1$ and $a_2$ are positive constants.
We have to show the following:




  1. The sequences $\{ b_n \} = \{ a_{2n-1} \}$ and $\{ c_n \} = \{ a_{2n} \} $ are monotonic, and if one is increasing, the other is decreasing.


  2. The limit of the sequence $\{ a_n \} $ is $ \left(a_1a_2^2\right)^{\frac13} $








Now, I have proved the first part. Besides that, I have also proved a few other things:



If $a_1 > a_2$, then:



a. $ \{ b_n \} $ decreases, and $ \{ c_n \} $ increases.



b. $ c_n < b_n $



If $a_1 < a_2$, we just flip $\{ b_n \}$ and $\{c_n\}$




Besides, I have also shown that both the sequences : $\{b_n\}$ and $\{ c_n\}$ have the same limit. What I don't know, is how to evaluate the limit.


Answer



Using the relation $a_{n} = \sqrt{a_{n-1}a_{n-2}}$ for $n \geqslant 2$, we find that



$$a_{n+1}^2a_n = (\sqrt{a_na_{n-1}})^2a_n = a_na_{n-1}a_n = a_n^2a_{n-1}$$



is independent of $n$, so $a_{n+1}^2a_n = a_2^2a_1$ for all $n$, and hence $\lambda^3 = a_2^2a_1$ for $\lambda = \lim\limits_{n\to\infty} a_n$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...