Wednesday, December 5, 2018

real analysis - Is $lim_{xrightarrowinfty}frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}=0$ if $lim_{xrightarrowinfty}f(x)=0$?

Let $f$ is continuously differentiable positive function, $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}f(x)=0$, and $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}f'(x)$ exist, is it true that $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}=0$.



My answer was yes, and this is my "proof".




Since the limit of $f'(x)$ exists, we can conclude that $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}f'(x)=0$. Suppose that $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}>0$. Hence, there are $c,k\in\mathbb{R}^+$ such that for every $x>k$, we have $\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}>c$, or $f'(x)>cf(x)$. By letting $x\rightarrow\infty$, we shall get $0>0$, which is a contradiction.



However, my Sensei told me that this proof is wrong, but he didn't tell me which part. He just gave me a counter example that if $f=\phi$ (pdf of standard normal distribution), then we shall get the limit is infinity.



So, my questions are:




  1. which part of my proof is wrong?

  2. to make the conclusion true (the limit of such fraction is $0$), is there any additional premise I need?

  3. how about $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{[f'(x)]^2}{F(x)}$, where $F$ is the antiderivative of $f$? (I think if I can solve the problem of the second question, I'll get some ideas for the third)




Thank you so much in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...