Thursday, December 20, 2018

induction - How can I prove that $4^{n} + 5$ is divisible by $3$.



I have trying to prove that $4^{n} + 5$.




I've already proved the base case, so I'm working on the inductive step.



I've done the following:



$4^{n} + 5$



$4^{n+1} + 5$



$4*4^{n} + 5$




But I am unsure where to go from here to prove that it is divisible by 3 since I am unsure how to get a $3$ or multiple of $3$ from this.


Answer



From @JMoravitz and continuing from the question above,



$4 * 4^{n} + 5$



$(3 + 1)4^{n} + 5$



$3(4^{n}) + (4^{n} + 5)$




From the base case, we know $(4^{n} + 5)$ is divisible by 3, and trivially $3(4^{n})$ is also divisible by 3.



$Q.E.D.$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...