Sunday, December 30, 2018

elementary set theory - Cardinality of all injective functions from $mathbb{N}$ to $mathbb{R}$.



What is the cardianlity of: $$ A = \left\{ f:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{R} : \text{f is injective} \right\} $$



Trying to prove it using Cantor–Bernstein–Schroeder theorem, I have the obvious side:
$$A \subseteq f:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{R}$$



Hence,
$$\left|A\right| \le \aleph$$




I need to find an injection from a set with cardinality of $\aleph$ to $A$, but couldn't think of a proper one. It's tricky.



Any idea?



Thanks.


Answer



HINT: Prove that $\{f\in A\mid\operatorname{range}(f)\subseteq\Bbb N\}$ has size $\aleph$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...