Sunday, December 30, 2018

integration - Triangle inequality for integrals proof



I'm having a bit of trouble proving the following inequality, using a graphic proof.


$$ \left| \int_a^b f \right | \le \int_a^b |f| $$ It's difficult for me to imagine these sorts of problems so I'm quite lost. Thank you


Answer



Let us look at an example of $$\left| \int_a^b f \right | \le \int_a^b |f|$$


For $f(x) =x$ on the interval $[ -1,1]$ what is $ \int_a^b f $ ?


The answer is $\int _{-1}^{1} xdx = x^2/2|_{-1}^{1} =0$.


What about the $|x|$ on the same interval. Now your function looks like a $V$ and it is defined as $f(x) = x$ for $x\ge 0$ and $f(x) = -x$ for $x\le 0$


Now you take the integral and you come up with $$\int _{-1}^{1}| x|dx$$ = $$\int _{-1}^{0}(- x)dx + \int _{0}^{1}( x)dx = 1$$


Clearly $0 \le 1$.


The important point is for f(x) you may have negative values but for $|f(x)|$ we only have non-negative values.



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...