Thursday, June 14, 2018

fractions - $frac{6}{4 times 2} + frac{7}{5 times 2} + ... + frac{21}{19 times 2}$




I got this exercise from school and I have no idea what notion to use, it resumes to Harmonic series, I can't find a generic answer. Do you have any idea?



$\frac{6}{4 \times 2} + \frac{7}{5 \times 2} + ... + \frac{21}{19 \times 2}$



Which is the generic answer for such a sum?


Answer



Consider the most general case $$A=\sum_{i=a}^b\frac n{2(n-2)}=\frac 12\sum_{i=a}^b\frac n{n-2}=\frac 12\sum_{i=a}^b\frac {n-2+2}{n-2}$$ $$A=\frac 12\sum_{i=a}^b1+\sum_{i=a}^b\frac {1}{n-2}=(b-a+1)+\sum_{i=a}^b\frac {1}{n-2}$$ So, you are just left with the sum of fractions $\frac 14+\frac 15+\frac 16+\cdots+\frac 1{19}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...