Sunday, April 1, 2018

calculus - What Techniques of Integration would be best suited for this Integral?



I've been doing integrals non stop preparing for my exam tomorrow, and one has left me stumped for a few days. I've tried coming back to it several times, but I can't seem to manipulate it. It is as follows:




$$\int\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x+1}}\;dx$$



I've tried different u-sub methods but nothing seems to work for me. My next thought was integration by parts, but when I attempt that method my answer isn't even close to the answer key given by my professor. The answer key shows this as the answer:



$$\frac25(x+1)^\frac{5}{2}-\frac43(x+1)^\frac{3}{2}+2\sqrt{x+1}+C$$



What would be the best technique to handle this integral? I feel like i'm missing something simple, but after 2 days it still hasn't come to me and it's quite frustrating. Thanks in advance.


Answer



Use the substitution method.




Let $u=x+1$, then $u-1=x$ and $du=dx$. Try it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...