Monday, April 9, 2018

sequences and series - Prove that $lim_{n to infty} n^k(3 - x_n) = 0$, for any $k in mathbb{N}^*$



Let $(x_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}$ be a sequence such that $x_{n+1} = \sqrt{3+2x_n}$ and $x_0 \in [0, 3]$. Prove that:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} n^k(3 - x_n) = 0, \, \, \forall \, k \in \mathbb{N}^*$$



I've proved that $(x_n)$ is increasing, bounded and has a limit of $3$, but I haven't managed to prove that the given limit is $0$.



Thank you in advance!


Answer



Let $x_n=3-y_n$ and the recursion becomes




$$3-y_{n+1} = \sqrt{9-2 y_n} = 3 \sqrt{1-\frac{2}{9} y_n} \approx 3-\frac13 y_n$$



i.e., for large $n$, $y_{n+1} \approx y_n/3$, or $y_n \approx c \cdot 3^{-n}$, which indeed disappears faster than any power of $n$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...