Saturday, September 9, 2017

elementary set theory - Find a bijection between the set of real numbers and the interval $(−1, 1) ≡ {,x ∈ Bbb Rmid − 1 < x < 1,}$.




Find a bijection between the set of real numbers and the interval $(−1, 1) ≡ \{\,x ∈ \Bbb R\mid − 1 < x < 1\,\}$.



Hi am I trying to revise for an an exam and I came across this question which I can not figure out. I tried looking online but I kept just finding graphs.
Thank You


Answer



You have to find bijection map



$g:\mathbb{R} \to \left( { - 1,1} \right)$



Then, first write the any bijection map from $\mathbb{R}$ to any open interval.




And then make its range (co-domain) by some adjustment to required open interval.



Example:



$f\left( x \right) = {\tan ^{ - 1}}x$



then,



$\begin{gathered}

Dom\left( f \right) = \mathbb{R} \\
Range\left( f \right) = \left( { - \frac{\pi }{2},\frac{\pi }{2}} \right) \\
\end{gathered} $



then, your job is to arrange your range (co-domain) as
$\left( { - 1,1} \right)$



then, for this multiply your function f(x) by
$\frac{2}{\pi }$,




$\frac{2}{\pi }f\left( x \right) = \frac{2}{\pi }{\tan ^{ - 1}}x$



then take,



$\begin{gathered}
g\left( x \right) = \frac{2}{\pi }f\left( x \right) \\
= \frac{2}{\pi }{\tan ^{ - 1}}x \\
\end{gathered} $



And then,




$\begin{gathered}
Dom\left( g \right) = \mathbb{R} \\
Range\left( g \right) = \frac{2}{\pi }\left( { - \frac{\pi }{2},\frac{\pi }{2}} \right) \\
= \left( { - 1,1} \right) \\
\end{gathered} $



Hence, the required bijection map $g:\mathbb{R} \to \left( { - 1,1} \right)$ is,



$g\left( x \right) = \frac{2}{\pi }{\tan ^{ - 1}}x$




I hope this will fulfill you required bijection map.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...