Friday, September 29, 2017

derivatives - How should we interpret $frac {d}{dt}$?

I've been using derivatives and integrals mechanically for years without really questioning the symbols. I recently watched some YouTube videos and came to understand that:$$\frac {dx}{dt}$$basically means, for some function, $f(t)=x$, an infinitesimal change in $t$, or $dt$, results in an infinitesimal change in $x$, or $dx$. The ratio of those two numbers is the derivative, or the instantaneous tangent line of $f(t)$ at $t$. So far, so good.



So could someone explain how to interpret this:$$\frac {d}{dt}$$I get that the bottom part is an infinitesimal change in $t$, but what is the top part? And how should I read an expression like $$\frac {d^2x}{dt^2}$$My main confusion is the $d$ part seems to have an existence on it's own without the dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...