Saturday, May 14, 2016

reference request - Every sufficiently large natural number can be written as $p+n_1^2+n_2^2$ for some $n_1,n_2$ - natural numbers and $p$ - prime number


Every sufficiently large natural number can be written as $p+n_1^2+n_2^2$ for some $n_1,n_2$ - natural numbers and $p$ - prime number.


I saw this used in russian article, but it was given as a fact without comment. Does this theorem have a name?


What methods are used in proofs of theorems stating that sufficiently large integers can be written in some forms? The only somehow similar thing I know is the Lagrange's four-square theorem. But if we involve primes in the representation, similar methods can't work I guess


Answer



This was first proved by Hooley, assuming GRH, and later by You. V. Linnik in $1960$ without assuming the Riemann hypothesis. The proof uses non-trivial methods from analytic number theory, and the result is much more difficult than Lagrange's Theorem. There are several results "approaching the Goldbach conjecture", see for example this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...