Friday, May 13, 2016

ordinary differential equations - Homogeneous First Order ODEs



I came across this problem today in Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes by George F. Simons, and I almost do not know how to start off. I need help. It says,



Show that the substitution
z = ax + by + c
changes
y′ = f (ax + by + c)

into an equation with separable variables.


Answer



Just substitute $z=ax+by+c \to z'=by'+a$



$$y′ = f (ax + by + c)$$
$$y' =f(z)$$
For $b \ne 0$
$$\frac {z'-a}{b}=f(z)$$
$${z'}=bf(z)+a$$
this form of the equation is separable

$$\int\frac {dz}{bf(z)+a}=\int dx=x+K$$






Edit for $b=0$
It's already separable..
$$y′ = f (ax + c)$$
$$\int dy =\int f (ax + c)dx $$
$$y =\int f (ax + c)dx $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...