Friday, August 2, 2019

calculus - Find the value of sum (n/2^n)




I have the series $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n}{2^n}$. I must show that it converges to 2.



I was given a hint to take the derivative of $\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n$ and multiply by $x$ , which gives



$\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^n$ , or $\sum_{n=0}^\infty nx^n$.



Clearly if I take $x=\frac{1}{2}$ , the series is $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n}{2^n}$. How do I proceed from here?


Answer




Notice that if $|x|<1$ then the original series converges with



$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n \;\; =\;\; \frac{1}{1-x}.
$$



Computing the derivative and plugging in $x=\frac{1}{2}$ should hopefully seem easier now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...