Wednesday, August 21, 2019

calculus - How to prove $operatorname{si}(0) = -pi/2$ without contour











How to prove $\operatorname{si}(0) = -\pi/2$ without contour integration ?
Where $\operatorname{si}(x)$ is the sine integral.


Answer



HINT:



Note that our integral may be rewritten as
$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-xy} \sin x \ dy \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin x}{x} \ dx$$
but integrating with respect to x we get that
$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-xy} \sin x \ dx \ dy = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1+y^2} \ dy$$

Hence I hope you can handle it on your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...